Art at The Prelude
The Prelude loves being part of Downtown Harlingen’s thriving art community. We are launching a new, ongoing opportunity for visual artists to showcase and sell their work at The Prelude. Details on how to submit your work for consideration, as well as FAQs, are provided below. Thank you for your interest in Art at The Prelude!
What are we looking for?
We are looking for quality original work suitable for hanging. All mediums will be considered (e.g., painting, drawing, photography, printmaking). The Prelude is a space suitable for all ages and audiences; this will be a factor when selecting work. While we do not have a size restriction, we plan to showcase the work of 3-6 artists at a time so will take size into account when selecting work and scheduling exhibits.
How to submit your work:
Submissions are accepted on an ongoing basis. To submit your work, complete the contact form below indicating your interest. Within 24 hours, we will reply with a link where you can upload three examples of your work. These examples should represent the work that you would like to exhibit at The Prelude.
The selection process:
All submissions will be reviewed (see Key Dates and Deadlines below). Selections will be made based on a number of factors, including quality of the work, compatibility with other work to be displayed during the same period, scheduling, and space availability. All artists will be notified of the status of their submissions once the selection process is completed.
Key dates and deadlines:
September 29, 2017: Deadline for consideration for October Art Night exhibition (which begins Oct. 27 and continues into November)
October 7, 2017: Selection process for October Art Night exhibition completed/artists notified
October 20, 2017: All artists selected for display beginning on October Art Night will deliver work, descriptions of work, and artist statements/bios to The Prelude.
October 27, 2017: Harlingen Art Night/opening event
What we will do for you: The Prelude will provide exhibit space, publicity, and an Art Night opening. We will also handle and document any sales transactions and handle sales tax. In exchange, we will take a 25% commission on all work sold.
What you can do for us: Submit your work. Adhere to the deadlines. If selected, price and provide your work ready to hang. Tell your friends. Support the The Prelude and the art community!
- Who selects the art/artists to be exhibited at The Prelude? An independent committee including artists of various mediums
- I submitted my examples via the link provided but haven’t received a response. Did you get my submission? We will send an email confirmation for all inquiries and submissions. If you did not receive a confirmation, please call The Prelude at 956-335-5173. If you did receive a confirmation but haven’t heard back yet, check the Key Dates and Deadlines — chances are the deadline for notifying artists hasn’t passed yet.
- Can my art work be displayed if it includes nudity? It depends. The Prelude is an all-ages space, so this will be decided on a case-by-case basis.
- Will I receive feedback on my submission? All artists will be notified about the status of their submission (accepted, not accepted, etc.); unfortunately, due to the number of submissions, it is not possible to provide individualized feedback on every submission.
- If my art work is not accepted the first time I submit, can I submit again? Yes!
- Do I need to provide frames for my artwork? Yes, if it is work that requires a frame (some pieces on canvas might not, for example)
- Do I need to provide labels for my artwork? No — The Prelude will create labels based on titles, prices, and the bio/artist statement you provide.
- Will you add the 25% commission to the price I set for my work, or will you take it from that price? We will take it from the sale price — so, if you want to earn $100 from a particular piece, you should charge $125 for it. (If you know the amount you want to make, multiply that x 1.25 to get the price you should set for the work).
- Who can I talk to if I have more questions? Call The Prelude at 956-335-5173.